Inspirational Graduation Speech for Failing Students

 

I would like to share with you supposedly a graduation speech delivered by a La Sallian engineer in one of the graduation ceremonies at the UP College of Engineering. This is for everyone  who are struggling to prove themselves in any field and in anything in the world today would somehow inspire them that they're not alone, and you're gonna get there! 
 

 Here's the Speech:

"Today, at our graduation rites, I brought a Transcript of Record. The student who owns such transcript studied at the De La Salle University (a school that has an 'Ivy League' status here in the Philippines). If you happen to be an undergraduate in this university, and your ID number starts at "94" and up, and if you happen to fail 15 units (credits) in one school year, you will be kicked out by the school."

"The transcript that I'm holding has 27 units (credits - Ed.) that are marked "failed". 12 were incurred by the student in just one school year. One subject holds three units. If you think about it, the student who owns this transcript I'm holding should be kicked out by failing one subject.

"This speech was not made just to acknowledge the efforts of our parents to keep us in school (financially). I did not make this speech as a political statement, or convince you to not go abroad and work here instead to help our country (from the "Brain Drain" situation - Ed.) . This speech was made for the students deemed "normal", who are just like the owner of this transcript that I am holding, because it has always been that the universities do not necessarily care about the achievements of a "normal" student. There are awards given to students such as "Summa Cum Laude", "Best Thesis Award" and "Leadership Award". But I am not aware of universities awarding students with a "Hang-on and managed to graduate despite nearly getting kicked-out during his academic stay" award just for being "normal"."


"Yes, you got it right. That is one good reason."

"If a student has a failing mark in school, especially in college, the student feels discouraged. The student would then be too lazy to study harder, and might ask himself  questions like "What type of jobs should I think I'd be getting? A call center or a clerical job (Call center and clerical jobs are perceived to be mediocre - Ed.)? Why am I so stupid? If I were intelligent, I'd probably land a gig at Proctor and Gamble or to any prestigious company.""


"The road of a student who failed is very rough. Even if you'd say that it is entirely his fault why he failed, you wouldn't really know how it feels to fail at something. It is easy to say "You can do it. Just study harder", but do we even know what we're saying?"

"If a student is failing at his subjects in his university, you'd often find him laughing about it. Or, if not, he would even pride himself that he took his subject for the nth time, or joke about already earning a doctorate degree in AnMath3/Calculus/etc. because of the number of times he's acquainted with the class and the course. But a Summa Cum Laude doesn't know what a "normal" student thinks when the latter goes to sleep and realizes every time that when he wakes up the next day, he has to find himself enrolling in the same course subject he failed in the succeeding school term."

"A "Star" student never experiences the fear of saying that "Mom, I failed." A "Star" student never dreads the question "What if I'd end up working for an unheard company?" Because "Star" students are so sure of their future, their paths are almost laid out or planned out for them."

"Let's not kid ourselves. Grades are everything. Even if you turn the world upside-down, companies will never be fair about choosing fresh graduates to work for them. Sometimes, it ends up with the decision that the student has connections, but it all boils down to your transcript grades. If you're not academically good, you are going nowhere. If not, you'd go through the eye of a needle just to get to that coveted job position."

"The speech I am giving at this graduation day is for the students who failed, who almost got kicked out, or who have tried it all just to graduate and finish school. I have leveled the playing field for you just for today. Whatever they say, whether they say it's your fault why you have failing marks or you were almost kicked out because of your grades, I salute you because you have decided to not stop finishing school. I salute you that you have the guts to still face the world even if you know the world wouldn't be fair to you. I salute you that even if your transcript isn't that attractive, you have held your heads high today and you feel equally proud about yourselves."

"What then would happen to the graduates after graduation day? I don't want to go thinking what would happen to those "Cum Laudes". So over it. We all know that they will go places. But how about the "normal students? Those who have 2, 3, and nth many failing marks on their transcripts?
Maybe they'd get to have mediocre jobs. Some might be lucky, they might work in a good company. There are a lot of things that could happen. Don't lose hope. If you struggled to earn your college degree, why stop struggling at life now?"
 

"Think about it this way: Go back to school. Show them that if you strive hard enough, you'd go places. Try to prove them that if you do try, you'd be able to reach where they are now. You'd be able to prove that you are not stupid, you're just lazy."

"You might think I'm joking. But I'm not." 


"I've been on both sides. I have experienced failing a class subject, and I was almost kicked out from school. I have experienced taking one course subject four times. I experienced getting scolded by my parents, siblings, and the many professors who seem to don't care about how the students feel when they are being reprimanded. I have experienced many sleepless nights thinking how would I actually tell my parents that I failed a subject. I know what you're feeling."

"The transcript that is in my hands, is MINE."

"What did I do when I graduated from college as a "normal" student"? I worked a little, then went back to school. I took up a Master's degree not because it is an employment requirement  or for whatever reasons. I went back to school because I wanted to prove to myself that at the time that I failed, I was simply lazy."
  
"This is a rebellion. I raise my middle finger to every professor, over-achiever, naysayer and detractor THAT TOLD ME THAT I CAN'T MAKE IT. I raise my middle finger to every valedictory or graduation speech that only gratifies the university, those who were achievers in school or those who gratify the country when it’s supposed to be the graduate’s moment of glory. You are supposed to acknowledge EVERYONE. Even those who failed many times."


"This speech is for the students who do not have nice grades. If I was able to make it, you can make it too. It's impossible that you can't."

Credits To: Loraine Tamayo  & Apol Ademis For sharing This...


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts